Off-Campus use of RefWorks:
To use RefWorks from off-campus, log in via EZProxy.
Off-Campus use of Write-N-Cite:
To use Write-N-Cite from off-campus, log in to RefWorks via EZProxy.
Download and install the small Write-N-Cite utility software program on your computer. Then go to:
- Write-N-Cite Configuration Utility
- Now enter the following URL: http://ezproxy.uct.ac.za/login?url=http://www.refworks.com/Refworks/?WNC=true
Working offline with Write-N-Cite lll
The latest version of Write-N-Cite (version lll) enables you to work offline. Here’s how:
- Download Write-N-Cite lll
- (If you have an earlier version of Write-N-Cite, you will be prompted to uninstall this first.)
- Launch Write-N-Cite from within MS Word.
- In the top menu bar, go to:
- Create/Update Offline Database
- This will download the records in your RefWorks database to your hard drive.
- Once your database has been downloaded, check the Work Offlinecheckbox at the top of the screen. Write-N-Cite will now operate offline, enabling you to work without being connected to the internet.
It’s important to note that you will need to go online and update your downloaded records (by repeating Steps 2 and 3) after you have added new records to your (online) RefWorks database.
How to convert MS Word, MS Access, and MS Excel files for importing into RefWorks:
The RefWorks Ready Reference Guide gives a detailed explanation.
Exporting to RefWorks from Google Scholar:
- In the Google Scholar search screen click on Scholar Preferences.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Preferences page, and in the Bibliography Managersection click on “Show links to import citations into“.
- Select RefWorks in the dropdown box.
- Click on Save Preferences.
- This will allow you to export your Google Scholar search results directly into Refworks.