Short Loans Centre: General Information
- Books that have been identified by lecturers or library staff as likely to be in high demand are removed from the open shelves in the Chancellor Oppenheimer Library and placed in the Short Loans Centre where they can be made available to students for restricted loan periods.
- Lecturers may also place their own private copies of books on short loan. An agreement document covering the placement of private copies on short loan is available on request. Please complete and sign this when supplying private copies.
- To place books on short loan, please follow the Procedure for Placing Materials on Short Loan.
- Lecturers with large classes may request that additional copies of a book be purchased for the Short Loans Centre by contacting the relevant Subject Librarian. Please note that books that are locally available must be ordered at least one month prior to the date that they will be required on short loan. Books from overseas must be ordered four months in advance.
- No journals subscribed to by the Libraries will be kept in Short Loans.
- Lecturers may place private copies of journals on short loan. An agreement document covering the placement of private copies on short loan is available on request. Please complete and sign this when supplying private copies.
- Photocopies of journal articles and book chapters relevant to specific courses are placed on short loan by lecturers.
- Students: Please note that when requesting photocopies at Short Loans, you will be asked for the name of the author of the material, so have it ready. Photocopies kept in Short Loans are filed alphabetically by author. Where there is no named author, the copies are filed under title or course code.
- Lecturers: must provide the copies of articles or chapters that are to be placed on short loan and are responsible for ensuring that the online copyright clearance process is carried out in accordance with UCT’s Blanket Copyright Licence Agreement. All photocopies must be correctly sourced, with full bibliographic details appearing on the copyright clearance application form. (See Instructions for Lecturers.)
DVDs and Videos
- The Short Loans Centre houses only DVDs and videos that have been prescribed by lecturers.
- Only original copies of videos and DVDs are kept in the Short Loans Centre.
- DVDs and videos in the main library collection are available at the Loans Desk.
Materials NOT accepted by Short Loans
- Course readers
- Compilations of articles
- Loan periods for Short Loans materials vary according to demand and type of material:
- 1-hour loan
- 3-hour loan
- Overnight loan
- 3-day loan
- Overnight loans are issued from 15h00 onwards and must be returned by 09h30 the following day. Overnight loans issued on a Friday or Saturday must be returned by 09h30 the following Monday.
- As Short Loans material is in heavy demand, we are obliged to impose heavy fines for late return of materials.
- Fines for late returns are R2.00 per hour or part thereof per item.
Once a fine of R10 or more has accrued, borrowing privileges will be suspended forthwith until the fine is paid.